THEME: The resurrection is more than an event, it’s a way of life.
GRACE: Lord, help me experience Your power in my daily life.
- In a journal, note the day, time, and place you’re sitting.
- Open with a few moments of silence. Rest, and breathe deeply.
- Complete the following sentence in your journal: *Today, I feel ________________.
- Read these words slowly (aloud or silently):
Open for me the gates of the righteous;
I will enter and give thanks to the Lord.
This is the gate of the Lord
through which the righteous may enter.
I will give you thanks, for you answered me;
you have become my salvation. (Psalm 118:19-21, NIV)
- Pause for a few moments of silence.
- Choose one of the following practices.
Option 1: Reflection [5-10 minutes]
Take a few moments to prayerfully reflect on your last 24 -hours. Start with the beginning of your day, and walk through each moment, as though you were watching a film of your life. Notice whom you spoke with, how you felt, what you encountered along the way.
As you pray through the day, look for opportunities to thank God. Whether big or small, find a few things you are thankful for and express your gratitude to God.
Now that you’ve reviewed your day, did you notice any places where you were “cooperating with God” in your life? These could be moments of peace, small times where you sensed His joy or presence, places where you were obedient to His call, or where you blessed someone else. Even if they are small, these are examples of God’s power showing up in your life. Thank Him for those moments, and note your observations in your journal.
Option 2: Reflection – Prayer of Examen [10-30 minutes]
Spend some extended time praying through each step of the Prayer of Examen:
- Become aware of God’s presence, asking Him to guide you in prayer.
- Review each moment of the previous day with gratitude, thanking God for all that happened.
- Notice your emotions. Are there any places where you sense yourself cooperating with or resisting God, or any emotions that call your attention? Spend time prayerfully considering these.
- Ask God to reveal to you where His power was at work in your day. Spend a few minutes in silence, and write in your journal any instances that the Lord brings to mind.
- Look ahead and preview your day ahead. Ask God to help you notice His presence and voice throughout your day.
- Summary: Write a brief summary (five sentences or less) of whatyou discovered during your time of reflection.
- Closing Prayer: Lord, help me experience Your power in my daily life.
*”Today I’m feeling…” This may seem like an unnecessary step, but it is one of the most important things you can do each day. Take a moment and notice how you feel, describing it in a few short words. For instance: “I’m feeling tired, happy, bored, restless, frustrated, weary, etc.” This is difficult at first, but in time this practice becomes easier, and it encourages you to be honest with both God and yourself.
Questions? Please email us at email@example.com