THEME: EMOTIONAL HEALTH AND CONTEMPLATIVE SPIRITUALITY OFFER A SPIRITUAL REVOLUTION IN OUR LIVES.
BREATH PRAYER: LORD, REFRESH MY SOUL WITH YOUR NEARNESS AND LOVE.
- In a journal, note the day, time, and place you’re sitting.
- Open with a few moments of silence. Rest, and breathe deeply.
- Complete the following sentence in your journal: Today, I feel ________________.
- Read these words slowly (aloud or silently):
How precious is your unfailing love, O God! All humanity finds shelter in the shadow of your wings. (Psalm 36:7)
Pray this week’s breath prayer and pause for a few moments of silence.[A “breath prayer” is a short prayer that is meant to be repeated, often as we breathe in and out. This ancient practice helps quiet our noisy minds and remember that God is near. To pray the breath prayer, simply sit comfortably and close your eyes, repeating the phrase silently as you breathe in and out. After allowing this prayer to help you fully rest in the moment, continue on with the day’s practice.]
Narrative Entry is a practice by which we place ourselves in a passage from the Bible as if we are living it. Allowing the Holy Spirit to work through our imagination, we aim to see, hear, smell, touch, and even taste what is happening in the Bible narrative.
- Read Luke 10:38-42 slowly, setting the scene in your mind.
- Read through it two more times slowly, and imagine you’re Martha. As Martha, what do you see, feel, hear, and know?
- In your journal, write down what you observed during your reading. Did anything surprise you? Was there something you hadn’t previously noticed that jumped out? What do you think the Lord might be saying through this?
Digging Deeper: Read through the passage one or two more times, but imagine you are Mary, silently sitting at the feet of Jesus. What do you see, feel, hear, and know? What might the Lord be saying through this?
- Summary: Write a brief summary (five sentences or less) of what you discovered during your time of reflection.
- Closing: Respond to your Savior with this simple prayer: Lord, You know our temptation to be drawn in by the things of earth. Work in us to fix our hearts and minds on Your loving presence, seeing You in all things, and trusting in You above all else. We adore You as the only One worthy of our full commitment. Amen.