THEME: EMOTIONAL HEALTH AND CONTEMPLATIVE SPIRITUALITY OFFER A SPIRITUAL REVOLUTION IN OUR LIVES.
BREATH PRAYER: LORD, REFRESH MY SOUL WITH YOUR NEARNESS AND LOVE.
- In a journal, note the day, time, and place you’re sitting.
- Open with a few moments of silence. Rest, and breathe deeply.
- Complete the following sentence in your journal: Today, I feel ________________.
- Read these words slowly (aloud or silently):
But as for me, I have trusted in you, O Lord.
I have said, “You are my God. My times are in your hand” (Psalm 34:14-15)
Pray this week’s breath prayer and pause for a few moments of silence.[A “breath prayer” is a short prayer that is meant to be repeated, often as we breathe in and out. This ancient practice helps quiet our noisy minds and remember that God is near. To pray the breath prayer, simply sit comfortably and close your eyes, repeating the phrase silently as you breathe in and out. After allowing this prayer to help you fully rest in the moment, continue on with the day’s practice.]
Find a quiet place to stop and prayerfully reflect over your previous week.
- Open your journal and look back over what you have written for the past four days.
- In today’s journal entry, write a brief summary of what you have experienced this week in your spiritual practices. Take note of what surprised you, what you learned, or where you experienced resistance or frustration.
- This week, our prayer was that the Lord would refresh our souls with His nearness and love. As you reflect over the past five days, do you see any instances of Him doing this for you? Did you sense God speak to you in a specific way, or grant you a moment of peace or stillness that you otherwise would’ve missed? No matter how small or insignificant they might seem, these moments are answers to your prayer. Write them down, and thank God for giving You this grace.
- Take a moment to look at your calendar the upcoming week. As you do so, notice what you are excited about in the coming week, as well as anything that makes you anxious.
- Offer your upcoming week to God, inviting Him to be with you in each event. Give Him thanks for the times you look forward to, and ask Him to provide you peace in the fearful events.
- As you close in prayer, thank God for walking with you this week and for refreshing you with His nearness and love.