THEME: KNOW YOURSELF THAT YOU MAY KNOW GOD
BREATH PRAYER: SPIRIT, HELP ME KNOW MY SHADOW, SO THAT I CAN LAY IT DOWN
- In a journal, note the day, time, and place you’re sitting.
- Open with a few moments of silence. Rest, and breathe deeply.
- Complete the following sentence in your journal: Today, I feel ________________.*
- Read these words slowly (aloud or silently):
For one day in your courts is better than a thousand in my own room, and to stand at the threshold of the house of my God than to dwell in the tents of the wicked. For the Lord God is both sun and shield; he will give grace and glory; No good thing will the Lord withhold from those who walk with integrity. O Lord of hosts, happy are they who put their trust in you! (Psalm 84:9-12)
Pray this week’s breath prayer and pause for a few moments of silence.
The practice of Lectio Divina is a form of prayerful meditation on Scripture that dates back to the third century. Countless Christ-followers have utilized this practice to help connect more deeply with the living Word of God.
Open your Bible to Psalm 8 and find a quiet place to sit comfortably. Pause for a moment and remember that the Lord is with you. Once you are still and calm, walk through the four steps below:
- Read: Read through the passage once, slowly. In this reading, familiarize yourself with what is happening in the passage. Imagine yourself observing the scene, visually. When you are finished reading, be still and silent for a moment.
- Listen: Read the passage two more times, slowly. As you do, ask and expect that the Holy Spirit will draw your attention to a specific word or phrase. When one word or sentence seems to stand out to you (no matter how strange or insignificant!), narrow your focus to that one phrase and ask the Lord why He has directed you there.
- Pray: Dialogue with the Lord about that word or phrase. Express your response, ask for greater clarity, talking with God in your thoughts as you would a friend.
- Rest: Spend a few moments resting in God’s presence, thanking Him for speaking directly to you.
Digging Deeper … You have just studied God’s word thoroughly. Now, just sit with Him in solitude for 10-15 minutes. No agenda. No plan. Just you and God. Breathe deeply and allow yourself to melt into His presence. If you sense Him speaking to you, feel free to write His words in a journal. If you do not get the sense that He is speaking, simply rest in His presence and enjoy His love.
- Summary: Write a brief summary (five sentences or less) of what God showed you while reading.
- Closing: Thank your Heavenly Father for the many ways He loves you. Praise Him for the majesty of His creation and for the tender intimacy of His love. Spirit, help me know my shadow, so that I can lay it down.